How do I assemble and hang a porch swing? What's the recommended ceiling height?
Watch our how-to video below to see step-by-step installation instructions for POLYWOOD outdoor swings.
Easy-to-follow assembly instructions are also included in your order and show you how to put the swing together and attach the chains and hardware. You can also access instructions on our website—search by SKU or product name to find the assembly information for your model.
Use these tips to ensure a safe and unobstructed swing setup.
- POLYWOOD porch swings can be attached to ceilings or structures up to 9 feet tall.
- Your swing should be affixed to a load-bearing beam or ceiling joist—one that’s sturdy enough to hold the swing’s weight and anyone who uses it.
- Joists need adequate support on both ends and should be on the thicker side—2x6 or 2×8.
- Porch swings should hang about 17–19 inches above the floor.
- The distance between mounting hardware should measure 4–6 inches wider than the swing length—from armrest to armrest.
- Your swing needs 3–4 feet of distance to both the front and back and 12–14 inches of clearance on either side.
Have more questions? We're here to help.
Click the 🗨️ icon in the bottom right to connect with our Customer Experience Team.